Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Color of Secrets by Lindsay Ashford

The Color of SecretsThe premise of this story fascinated me. A woman in WWII England, whose husband has been missing, possibly dead for two years, falls for a black American soldier. A baby results. How does this affect the future generations? What happens is/when her husband shows up?

I love a good scandal, especially when it doesn't involve me. *sheepish grin*

This one disappointed me though, mainly due to the total lack of love and passion between the heroine and her black GI. She's attracted to him instantly, I got that. But it was more a "oooh. this is so wrong it's hot" thing than real attraction--at least that's the impression I got. They exchange very little information between the two of them before they're doing the horizontal mambo. This is not a love affair.

After Louisa's birth, some characters begin appearing in the story whose characterizations were just OTT, unfathomable. WAY too good or WAY too bad. The husband returns and is apparently the kindest man in the whole world, so kind he's willing to raise another man's baby and protect her from everything and give his wife the space she needs...and on and on and on. And then Louisa grows into this young woman that every man wants to rape. The story began getting a little ugly with the uncle, but I could buy that. But then the hippie came onto the scene and I decided I'd had enough. I quit. I really wasn't gaining anything deep from reading this. I wasn't laughing, I wasn't falling in love with the characters, I wasn't learning anything aside from the typhoid outbreak by the sea and that the Red Cross was shipping bastard babies back to the States.

Despite the WWII time period, there was very little historical detail.

I thank Netgalley for providing a digital file of this, but I didn't enjoy it much.




No comments:

Post a Comment