Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The House of Eliott, Season One: Two Strong Women Start a Fashion House in the 20s

I actually bought the entire three season, the collection, but golly, that'd make a long post. And after watching 13, 14 episodes, I'm taking a break to watch some other things before I start season two.

First of all, the story is about two sisters whose father passes away, leaving them--they think--destitute. Despite all kinds of barricades put in their way--from money to naysayers to greedy relatives--the two woman start their own tailoring business, which leads to a fashion house, the House of Eliott.

I've heard it said that the clothes are amazing. Having watched all five seasons of Downton Abbey, I'm not convinced these clothes are all that great. I liked the clothes on DA better, but I certainly preferred the head pieces they wear in this.

I have a feeling, however, that the clothes will be even better in seasons two and three, as the women cultivate their talents and we get deeper into the twenties.

Something I noticed that may not have worked in the clothing's favor is the lack of camera angles. It could be because this was filmed in the early 90s and in 2015 we've grown quite spoiled with our TV, but there weren't that many camera angles and I think this hurt the show at times, especially the clothing. Either it's the time it was filmed or it was a low-budget production.

Image result for the house of eliott season one
There's a couple of side stories: A handsome aviator who claims he's their brother. A playboy photographer with bad finances who loves the older sister, Beatrice. With him we learn about the new "frivolity" moving pictures. There's a cousin dabbling in illegal activities in a speak-easy. An aunt obsessed with society who finds herself OUT of it. A woman named Penelope--who got on my nerves something AWFUL and I'm so glad she seems to be leaving before season two--who is deeply involved in charity work. And I already said I couldn't stand her, but she did have some food for thought. And yet, some of work hard for our money, lady.


In this season, we not only see HofE starting up but we also see Evangline grow from a somewhat spoiled (personality wise, not money_ child into a young woman with grand ideas. It was interesting to watch Beatrice struggle to step back and let Evie be an adult and also to watch their disagreements about clothes. There's a 13-year difference and it shows. The acting is superb. I was really quite lost in the story.

I'm liking it so far. If you're seeking a historical about strong women and have a preference for the twenties--while this doesn't hold a candle to the scandalous Phyrnne Fisher--it's worth the time and money.


No comments:

Post a Comment