Sunday, October 13, 2013

Dirty Harriet Rides Again by Miriam Auerbach

Dirty Harriet Rides AgainI'm a fan of this series. I'm afraid this review will read too much like my review of book one, as I loved that one too. I don't have anything new to add. Book two is a different mystery with a whole new set of laughs featuring  the most delightful heroine ever.

I think I may actually pray for a change...that there's a book three. Any gods listening? LOL

In book one we met Harriet, a former "Boca Babe" who offed her own coke-snorting, abusive husband at a wedding with a .44. She's left the frivolous "desperate housewife" lifestyle and is now a bike-riding, leather-clad, private eye who takes no grief from anyone.

The mystery this time is...religious leaders are dropping dead left and right. Is it because of their beliefs? Does someone have a beef with god? Does it go back to gay rights? Harriet is hired to find out. There are attempts on her life, hate gangs, snakes, and more.

I laughed out loud many times and though I had my suspicions, didn't know whodunit till Harriet told us. The narrative is sarcastic, witty, and even the conversations with the alligator made me smile. This is not a romance, but I don't mind that. I like that Harriet is a woman who doesn't need a man in her life to feel complete. I would actually like to see this odd "thing" with Lior kicked aside completely.

I have chosen some of my favorite passages to share.

The pastor went on, "I am here as the leader of the Christian Righteous Against Perverts." 

Christian Righteous Against Perverts. I needed an easy way to remember that. Acronyms were always good mnemonic aids. So this one was...CRAP.


***

I could just see Pastor Hollings preaching, "Wives, submit to the your husbands, as they submit to the church."Yep, shut up the women. A great way to strengthen marriages. Why, it had worked for millennia, until those women's libbers had come along and destroyed traditional values. Divine order needed to be restored.

Book received via Netgalley.






No comments:

Post a Comment