Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Dancing at the Chance by DeAnna Cameron

Dancing at the ChanceDancing at the Chance is about the last day of Vaudeville, when moving pictures began to destroy the stage. We have a young dancer, an orphan who lives in the theater, dreaming of...I'd say being a successful dancer, but she can't seem to focus...of running her own show. She's free with criticism/suggestions and doesn't get along with the manager.


She's rebellious yet also naive. She thinks a fine man is going to marry her and while I could tell from the get-go he only intended to make her a mistress, it took her ages.

Liked: The look at how the vaudeville stage was run back then. Pepper's feistiness. Em. She was by far my favorite character. I wish there had more of a substory with her. The ending.

Disliked: The book's idea of romance. I wasn't feeling it. There are two suitors: one the jerk with ill intention and he is the "love" interest for the first 3/4 of the novel. The other fella...though we follow him around as he learns about the early video cameras and attacks people in alleys, Pepper and him...I didn't feel that connection at all and when he suddenly became the love interest, it threw me off.

It also took me a while to figure out where the plot was going. It just seems to be a lot of "He loves me, he loves me not. Oooh, I hate Stanley. What's going to become of the theater?"

However, this book was really rich in historical detail. I was truly transported to another time and place. It's a unique storyline and time period and situation. As historical fiction, it proves to be educational as well as entertaining. I just don't feel it's a good historical romance.

Three bikes. I bought this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment