Sunday, December 30, 2012

Thoroughbreds and Trailer Trash by Bev Pettersen

Thoroughbreds and Trailer TrashI'm a huge fan of Ms. Pettersen's books. This is my fourth one now. As usual, the story sucks me in from the get-go, keeps me guessing and wondering what's going to happen, and mixes mystery with real life very well, though this one  had a lot less mystery. I was surprised. It was more of a drama, less of a mystery, though it doesn't make it any less good.

Jenna is a tough cookie who has been through so much. Her parents are dead and she's solely trying to put her sister through college...a sister who is throwing the education away. Meanwhile, Jenna is forced to lie about her education to keep her job as a horse massager.

Horse massage, oxygen tanks, special lights...this book showed me a world I have never heard of before: horse therapy. That was really interesting to me.

Burke is at Jenne's place of work to make it run more efficiently and...well, fire people.

I had a very, very hard time liking Burke. To be honest, I never did grow to like him. He's way too bossy and controlling and I didn't feel he changed enough in the end for me to really like him. He looks down on people, says callous things, makes demands, and while I realized he needed to be that way for his job, I didn't like the way he instilled into his relationship with Jenna.

Jenna has a bad streak of dishonesty. I had trouble with that at times too, but I also saw where she was coming from. I could relate to her a lot more than I could Burke.

I thought she was awful blind regarding her sister though. Wanted to slap her the first half of the book. Jenna is pretty easy to walk on.

The mystery when it comes is around the owners of an elite and possibly impotent racehorse. But as I said earlier, there's very little of this. Most of the story is about who's getting fired, can Jenna keep her job?, will she get caught sneaking her pony in for stable services after hours?, etc.

Four bikes. I bought this on Amazon.




No comments:

Post a Comment